Our MissionMy Community Legal Inc.
Clients Served 2014
Clients Served 2017
Clients Served 2015
Clients Served 2018
Clients Served 2016
Clients Served 2019
My Community Legal Inc (MCL) http://deepfeetmassagetherapy.com/redox-signalling-molecules commenced service in February 2014 and is now a medium-tier Community Legal Centre (CLC).
The mission stated in the objects of our association are—-
(1) To facilitate the local legal profession provide pro bono publico services;
(2) To provide a free and accessible legal service;
(3) To provide referral to and collaborate with appropriate agencies;
(4) To promote holistic legal education of intending future legal practitioners;
for the benefit of the vulnerable and disadvantaged in the Gold Coast Community.
In short – we help our neighbours.
MCL is a community legal centre in the ancient, ‘pro bono publico‘, access to justice tradition of the legal profession. It is an independent initiative of the Gold Coast District Law Association (GCDLA) and grew out of its members identifying a very high need for a second community legal centre in Australia’s sixth-largest city.
Gold Coast has a population more than of all of Tasmainia, is growing rapidly and will soon overtake Adelaide to be Australia’s fifth largest city after Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Both sides to a matter in Gold Coast now have better access to justice.
We also enjoy partnerships with Gold Coast City Council, Bond University, Griffith University, Southern Cross University and many others. Bringing on the next generation of lawyers in the pro bono tradition is very important to us.
Our volunteers provided 649 client advice sessions in 2014, 857 in 2015 and now with a much bigger room and 12+ advice desks, has provided more than one thousand clients thereafter. Practitioners supported by law students advise 30 to 40+ clients per Thursday evening on average.
We operate from rooms in the Gold Coast Community Centre, 196 Robina Town Centre Drive, on charity rent terms from the Gold Coast City Council. We mix with the many other users of that facility and enjoy a diverse range of partnerships in the community. Without these partnerships, our initiatives simply would not have been possible.
MCL was previously named Community Legal Gold Coast and Robina Community Legal Centre.
- Family and Domestic Violence 41% 41%
- Civil (Debt, Bankruptcy) 32% 32%
- Crime 8% 8%
- Other (Tenancy, Employment, Micro Business, Migration) 19% 19%
- Financially Disadvantaged 49% 49%
- Children and Youth 16% 16%
- Single Parents 12% 12%
- Other Priority Need 33% 33%
My Community Legal is a member of Community Legal Centres Queensland ( try these out CLCQ) since inception and since December 2014, is an accredited community legal centre with the National Association of Community Legal Centres donde conocer chicos de la haba (NACLC).
In its operations MCL has strongly demonstrated its ability to deliver free, front-line legal advice and referral services to the greater Gold Coast community, especially its southern region. For an all-volunteer unfunded start-up, we have had astonishing success at providing these services to the vulnerable and disadvantaged in the community.
All of our clients are assessed in the Intake Form procedure as priority need persons, by reference to at least one of the Commonwealth Eligibility Principles:
- children and young people (up to 24 years)
- financially disadvantaged people
- Indigenous Australians
- older people (aged over 65 years)
- people in custody and prisoners
- people experiencing, or at risk of, family violence
- people experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness
- people residing in rural or remote areas
- people who are culturally and linguistically diverse
- people with a disability or mental illness
- people with low education levels, and
- single parents.