About Uspro bono publico
(Latin: ‘for the public good’) – legal work undertaken without charge, especially for a client on low income
Oxford English Dictionary
My Community Legal Inc. is an independent initiative of the Gold Coast District Law Association and collaborates with many members, volunteers and partners. We are one of two Gold Coast nationally-accredited community legal centres.
We provide lawyers, law students and many other friends, the opportunity to serve the city of Gold Coast by providing free legal services to those who need but cannot afford a lawyer.
My Community Legal is an independent, volunteer-powered association and receives no state or federal government funding, but enjoys the support of numerous partners including:
- Gold Coast District Law Association;
- Queensland Law Society;
- Bond University;
- Griffith University;
- Southern Cross University;
- Other Partners; and
Community Legal Centres (CLCs) respond to community need rather than a political, government or business agenda. We have at our core a belief in pro bono publico volunteering of the legal profession, human rights and natural justice according to law.
CLC’s are independent, not-for-profit incorporated law firms funded from a range of agencies to provide legal services to a defined geographic community. We are immersed in the community and collaborate with many other community organisations to provide a whole-of-client solution, such as in emergency accommodation, social counselling and financial advice.
My Community Legal is one of 33 nationally-accredited CLC’s in Queensland.
Our incorporated association, principal lawyer, coordinator and other volunteers are controlled in several ways, all being community-focussed, including:
- as officers of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- by Queensland Law Society issued practising certificates and the Legal Profession Act 2007
- the Associations Incorporation Act 1981
- Community Legal Centres Queensland membership
- Community Legal Centres Australia national accreditation
- licence to occupy the Robina Community Centre
- terms of student volunteering from Bond University, Griffith University and Southern Cross University; and
- terms of donations from members, partners and philanthropists.
Our management committee comprises representatives from a wide range of legal practitioners. We also are delighted to have voting committee members from Bond University, Griffith University, Southern Cross University and the general Gold Coast community.
My Community Legal Inc. is an association, incorporated according to Queensland Law, bearing registration number IA41079 and ABN 75 853 350 833. The association’s previous names are Community Legal Gold Coast and Robina Community Legal Centre.